Every year teens look for volunteer opportunities whether it is to complete required community hours for high school or just to get involved in a cause they believe in. Why should anyone volunteer? Simply, volunteering is good for you. It is good for your heart and soul. According to Teen Life, there are many personal benefits to community service too such as career benefits, college admission benefits, meeting new people and building relationships, improves communication and critical thinking skills, and there are opportunities to apply academic learning to real human needs. I have talked to many teens who think they are too young to make a difference. ANYONE can make a difference! Teens, you have the ability to help others in more ways than you can imagine.
Our local community here in Jacksonville, Florida has a constant need for volunteers. If you are still looking for that summer learning opportunity then, start volunteering. Get involved now! Below are several resources to help get you started. Start making an impact now!
1. Hands on Jacksonville – Start here and make an account. Search for opportunities which are of interest to you.
2. Volunteen Nation – You can search for local opportunities. Additionally, they have scholarship and grant opportunities. Follow them on Twitter!
3. DoSomething.org – Love this website! It is one of the largest websites for young people and social change. There are many simple ideas for teens who want to make a difference in their community. Explore their campaigns for easy ways to make an impact.
4. Teen Life – Search for not only volunteer opportunities, but also enrichment programs and college admissions resources.
Opportunity in the Orlando Area
Florida Citrus Sports : a not-for-profit event management organization dedicated to positively impacting the Orlando region while enhancing the quality of life in Central Florida through world-class events. Make a difference by helping with food drops and school supply drives for those in need.
Local Opportunities for Teens in Jacksonville
4. Jacksonville Public Library – Join a teen advisory board! You need a recommendation letter, parental permission form, and authorization for juvenile record search.
Student Futures’s goal is to motivate and help students achieve their dreams. Need help preparing for college? Know a teen who is having trouble maintaining balance in their life? Contact Student Futures today to set up an initial academic coaching consultation to learn more about how we help teens achieve their dreams and become masters of their own path to success.